FCE

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

WT3: Formal letter - requesting information

Useful language for letter requesting information:

Opening remarks:
I am writing to enquire about ...;
I am writing in connection with ...

Introduce first request:
Could you possibly send ...;
I would be grateful if you could...;
Would it be possible for you to tell/send me...;
I would appreciate some information about...

Introduce further request:
Could you also please send me...;
Another matter I need information on is ...
I would also like some information on...

Closing remarks:
I look forward to receiving...;
I would appreciate it if you could inform me as soon as possible.

MODEL

Rubric:
You have just seen this advertisement in a Pet’s magazine and you would really like to take the course. However you feel you need some more information before taking the course. Write a letter between 120 to 180 words in appropriate style.


DOG OBEDIENCE CLASSES
Train your dog in our special classes.
Register now for the autumn course.
For more information write to:
Smart Dogs
3, Longhill Green
Wolfhill

- breed/age of dog
- specific aspects it needs training in
- cost of the course




Model:

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to inquire about your advertisement in the September issue of Favourite Pets magazine. I am interested in dog obedience classes but I would be grateful if you could send me further details.
Firstly, I would like to know what breeds of dogs are accepted for the classes and whether the dog must be a certain age in order to take part. I have a six-month-old male cocker spaniel which I am anxious to train. He is very excitable and especially needs to learn how to walk without pulling on his lead.
I also require information on the cost of the course, when it will commence and how long it is likely to last.
I look forward to receiving details about the dog obedience classes.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Yours faithfully,
Kristen Miller.

Exercise:

Instructions: You belong to an activity club. In the last meeting, it was decided that the group would arrange a river-rafting trip. Peter was in charge of writing a letter to a rafting club requesting some more information about it. He wrote this letter and asked you to revise it. However you have found some impolite phrases and expressions and you have underlined them. Rewrite the sentences in Italics for something a bit more formal.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was reading a magazine when I saw your ad the other day so I decided to write. Our school activity club is planning a river-rafting trip next month and I want you to tell me some more information about your club.
Can you tell me how many people can go on your trip? There are about thirty planning to go in our group. Is that too many?
As we will probably just go for a day I also want to know what it costs for a whole day of rafting per person. Can you also find out what it costs to hire a coach for one day? This would be helpful as that is how we intend to travel.
Finally, it is necessary to take any special safety precautions to go rafting? Obviously we will want to be properly prepared and equipped before we start.
I hope you can help me with these details. Please let me know as soon as you can.

All the best,

Teri Bauer

WT3:
WELCOME TO HEAVEN
Spend a whole week in paradise in the company of attractive people of your age.
Leave your worries behind: here all you will find will be beauty and pleasure.
Boost your ego: an experienced advisor will be at hand to point to improvements in your looks.
Revitalize yourself: we have the most modern swimming pools, courts, and disco around.
And who knows? Maybe meet your soulmate?

Write to us for free details about the chance of your life.

The advertisement below appeared in the last weekend edition of ´Beauty´. You are interested in spending a holiday at this resort and decide to write a letter requesting further informantion about it. You letter must be of about 150 words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home